With so many foodservice outlets on campus, the College & University channel presents a unique range of opportunities. Dining halls can serve globally inspired fare to meet the demands of students and staff; catering services can demonstrate flexibility and creativity; concession stands and on-site retail outlets can incorporate on-the-go eats and snacks that satisfy cravings. Staying on top of the latest trends and implementing innovative solutions like street food and grab-and-go plant-based handhelds will make success a reality across dayparts and menu possibilities.
- Generation Z includes anyone born between 1998 and 2016.
- By 2020, nearly 40 percent of the U.S. population will be Generation Z.
- Gen Z has $828 billion in spending power.
- Gen Z accounted for 25% of foodservice spending in 2018.
- On a weekly basis, over 75% of Gen Z consumers are visiting foodservice establishments.
- 31% of Gen Z's food budget is spent on dining out with an average weekend food budget of $125.24.
- Gen Z is more interested in emerging global flavors than previous generations.
Datassential, Gen Z: Generations of Change, April 2018
flavor focus: global cuisine
As international cuisines become more mainstream, dishes from far-away locations are taking their places in C&U dining halls, concession stands and retail outlets alongside spaghetti and pizza. An ethnically diverse student body means global cuisine is the new normal and the more regionally-specific, the better! As a result, more exotic specialty ingredients are making their way onto C&U menus to meet students’ desire for authentic foods as well as Americanized versions of ethnic fare.
Global Cuisine in Action
- Introduce menu items that go beyond the international cuisines that students already know and love by diving deeper into new regional specialties.
- The authenticity of regional global favorites from Taiwan, Israel, the Yucatan Peninsula and beyond will earn instant credibility.
- Since students crave global street foods, create an International Street Food theme night using the new Custom Culinary® Latin and Korean Flavors to create new favorites like customizable Korean bibimbap rice bowls or a make-your-own burrito station.
Insights and Trends for College & University
Get actionable tips & tricks for your operation by downloading our recent Insights & Trends for campus operators.
14.6 Billion Reasons to
Understand Gen Z
Download your free copy of our all new white paper.
Thai Vegetable Broth Bowl
Exotic ingredients brought together to add intense flavors in a familiar application. Featuring Custom Culinary® Thai Style Broth, Thai Vegetable Broth consists of green onions, bok choy, thai red chilies, mushrooms, tofu, rice noodles, and coriander leaves.
Custom Culinary® Thai Style Vegetable Broth
Frozen ready-to-use format, with superior freeze-thaw stability, easy to prepare: boil or steam in bag. Clean label, gluten-free product line to meet nutritional demands of your customers.